17 April 2010

A Lovely Brunch


I met my (dad's) cousin Jeanne for brunch on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon at Pulino's Bar & Pizzeria, the new Nate Appleman spot owned by Keith McNally. We shared several plates...

mediterranean bloody marys
fresh asparagus
baked ricotta with proscuitto and roasted bread
roasted sunchoke and red cabbage salad with pancetta, oranges, honey, and pecorino
"acciughe" pizza: anchovies, tomato, mozzarella, capers, garlic, and basil
gelati et sorbetti sampler: dark chocolate gelato, buttermilk brown sugar gelato, and orange sorbet with fennel
milano cookie plate: almond and pistachio

What made this meal so enjoyable was the chance to reconnect with Jeanne; I can't remember the last time I saw her. We talked for hours about her job and mine, music, and life in NYC (primarily Brooklyn, where she lives). When reconsidering the food at Pulino's, I would say it was very good, but that maybe I expect a little more from Appleman. The gelati, sorbet, and cookies (by Jane Tseng, who traveled to NYC from San Francisco with Appleman), however: outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment